Blogs vs Other sources

The RSS reader that I chose is Feedly. I subscribed to a lot of education blogs however I have not found any articles that interest me. I have never been into blogs as I have never found blogging layouts to be that appealing to me. Small issues that bother me about blogs is the amount of ads that are usually found on them. While you can use an ad blocker, a lot of the time they try to get you to whitelist their site. As a result the experience for browsing these sites feels cluttered and inconsistent. The best kind sources that I found through Feedly were links to websites that I already used such as youtube, yet I also found that I had already subscribed to these sources already. Feedly does make it easy for people to find very specific information but it almost feels overwhelming when first using the application because of how many sources it gives you. Due to the website linking you to other websites, it often acts very clunky and almost feels as though you are opening up a facebook ad instead of a professional website. The content that I found to be interesting was the TED-ed feed as they combined good visuals with their topics on youtube. Yet, another source that I used prior to this is the R/Teachingresources subreddit. I like that you still get a lot of resources from this site and because those that use it are teachers, and not companies, it feels much more true to earth than reading blogs and articles that people make money off of. An example of a resource found on reddit was a history battle card game using historical achievements of characters as an attack. While it would not make for an entire lesson, something like this is perfect as an introduction for a social studies unit (You can find an example of this here). Below I am going to post both websites that I have used for this blog post.

Here is the reddit layout:


While here is how feedly is laid out:

Comments