Trying to predict the future and realizing that the past is more important

This new culture of participation is somewhat scary however that is due to how new it is. While
this new culture of participation can bring really good things, I also know that this culture can
lead to very scary results as well. Things like the internet being organization points for rallies are
just as easily built as things like memes spreading online. Where on one side of this culture you
have people posting innocent memes however on the other side you suddenly have people rallying with tiki torches.

When it comes to how it will effect my future classroom… honestly I do not know. I hope that nothing
happens like what happens in the states but I will embrace certain non offensive jokes within the classroom
. I generally keep in touch with things however it might just be because I am younger. I laughed when I
thought about “how might this affect schools in general?” because I know exactly how it will go. This
will have 3 major components:


1. Teachers that are older will be really unaware of these jokes,


2. Teachers will try to engage with their students using older jokes and the exchange will be funny


3. Finally, students will use this participation culture to harass and exclude those that are not in on the joke.


The final one is the most important one to know (however number 1&2 are kind of funny). Yet,
imagine the early 2000s and how terrible the cyber bullying used to be, now imagine the early 2000s
where teachers actually knew how to monitor cyber bullying. In the past there was a ton of cyber
bullying yet there were a lot more teachers that did nothing about it because they didn't know how to
navigate these sites. Not even that, a lot of these teachers did not have the knowledge to know what
their students were talking about in the classroom. A lot of the time what would happen is that people
used references to websites and the teachers did not understand what they were saying and just ignored
it. I say this because I saw it happen in my own classroom during middle school.


When it comes to changing the school system based off these new developments I honestly feel as
though there are more important things to focus on than this. I think that this kind of change will come
naturally. I am in the wave of the first gen Z teaching force and I know a lot of these tools are already
being used by us. What actually needs to change is things that were made decades ago. Things like
actually updating the curriculum, providing aid to substitutes, giving teachers more funding, creating
new schools that will lower class sizes and increase the amount of available jobs, and to make the
hiring process more central so that hard work is respected more than knowing the person hiring you.
We can talk about the future as much as we like however the pre-existing issues will continue to make
any kind of enhancement of the classroom near impossible.


(P.S I wrote this in google docs however once I finished it I forgot to post it, that is why I am posting
this in class oops)

Comments