Bringing Everything Together

I am going to start off this blog by asking each reader to take a look at this youtube video.

In this video I go over all of the editing techniques that I have developed to this point. Where some of these techniques were pretty difficult to learn, with time I was able to get used to them. For this blog post I will be going over each step of this video:



Learning how to compose the video:

This part was the easiest to learn as it is the most straight forward aspect of video editing. Putting in the videos is as simple as dragging them into the video editor and dragging them onto the timeline. From there you can pretty much go about editing from any direction.

What made this part difficult is that sometimes if I forgot to link the video clips together I would accidentally delete parts of the clip without realizing it.



Learning how to edit audio clips:

Audio is a lot harder to get good at then I first thought it would. The major issue with editing audio is making it sound as though it is natural. When editing videos I tried to make it so that my speech would be consistent and I would cut out the downtime in between what I would say. I ran into issues when it came to actually making the audio sound like it flowed naturally. The issue is that tone of voice tends to change quite a bit over time and the audio clip would sound awkward. This also has to do with my Canadian accent. To us Canadians it sounds normal but there is a distinct vocal pattern among Canadians. Canadians usually start their sentences with a louder tone and then slowly become more quiet as the sentence goes on. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of American accents. Now, why do I say this? Because when I tried to cut out dead time I realized that my voice would go from kinda loud to kinda quiet making it awkward to watch. I eventually countered this by making sure my voice sounded the same as the previous clip. There are also a lot of sound altering tools within the video editor as well.


Learning how to add special effects through fusion:

This was the most difficult part of editing this video because of the sheer amount of tools that are given to you by the video editor. The actual editing of the effects becomes easy once you get used to it, but getting started is very difficult.

I really like how Resolve handles it's effects. The mindset behind it is really structured and reminds me of computer programming. Now, while it is not as complicated, and it is laid out much more visually than computer programming, the same mindset can be used.




Comments