Final Learning Project Post

My last post could be called my final post however I thought that I would dedicate my final post to comparing my skills at the beginning of this class to the ending.

I am going to start with what I have been using before this class and the issues with using this tool. I will then begin to go into the video editor that I chose to use and the initial issues that I faced as a result. I will then go into the progress that I made on my videos and how I got into making these videos. Finally, I will share my closing thoughts on the experience.

Previous Method of Video Recording

All of my previous videos that I have made in my classes have been through a program called OBS Studio and I would simply record myself talking while adding what the program calls "sources" to the recording. Sources allow my to cast my screen onto a recording, make my video play in a little window, and it allows me to put images on the screen. This was a very good solution for me as it allowed me to quickly make videos and give them the illusion of special effects. While editing was not required for a lot of the videos I made, this simple function of the software allowed me to make my videos more interactive through dragging pictures in front of the camera in real time. Yet, because it was a constant stream, if I made any mistakes or if I stuttered the video would become sloppy.

These are examples of video edits following my older style of video recording. I will not stop using this method as it is quick and easy if I want to make around a 2 minute video. However, for larger projects this is not at all ideal.

Cool Tools to Use With Websites

How to Manipulate Information

Easy Way to Test Blog Changes



Finding a Video Editor and Issues Faced Doing so

The video editor that I chose to use is a program called Resolve 15. The reason why I chose this video editor is because out of all of the free video editing programs I found, this one looked the safest. I want to stress the fact that this one looked the safest. A lot of free programs on the internet are extremely scary and riddled with malware. With every program I download off of the internet I made sure to do research on it. Things like best video editor countdownssearching what is the best free video editor on google, or even testing out some software first on older computers to test the program for viruses is good practice. From my experience of when I was in grade 10 having a computer for the first time, free software are the programs you need to look out for the most.

Once I downloaded the video editor I ran into a major problem where the editor would crash whenever I tried to open it. This made me go insane trying to pin down the issues with my drivers to see what the problem was. Just like I have always done, I went to the hub of all information on the internet, reddit, to find my answer. It turns out that for some reason the drivers on my headphones were causing the program to crash. I instantly knew that to solve this would take hours out of my time (as the last time I had to fix driver issues with my headphones it took 3 hours), so I did the next best thing and used my older pair of headphones. It is not an elegant solution by any means, but it worked. The major issue with this is that I would sometimes forget to close Resolve when switching headphones (older pair was wired where new pair is wireless so I generally like to have the newer pair on) and then the program would crash without saving any of my work. I lost at least 4 hours of progress this way.


Realizing That I Had a Video Editor But No Videos To Edit

This was my second major road bump. I did not want to take random videos off of youtube because I did not feel as though that was fair to either this class or creators, and I felt that just taking recordings of myself on OBS would be boring. I decided that I would then attempt to stream my learning on Twitch so I could provide a much more in depth version of my learning and that everyone could see the exact steps that I took. The only problem with this is that I did not know how to save my broadcasts initially. While I eventually found out how to do this through "highlighting" these videos, unfortunately by the time I figured it out most of my videos have been deleted.

Twitch has proved to be a very useful resource for obtaining videos however there are some issues that I ran into when trying to edit these videos. Resolve DOES NOT like the video format that highlights are saved to. When I tried to upload them to the editor the audio would go all over the place. I never truly learned how to fix this issue, however I did learn ways around it. By taking straight recordings on obs when audio was laggy was a good solution, and through altering the audio through sound settings I was able to fix a lot of issues that were presented for me.


Progress on My Videos

I made quite a bit of progress on my videos. My initial videos were by no means coherent, and they were not supposed to be. I structured my videos so that I would test ways in which I could edit future videos. My first two videos are perfect examples of this.

My first video was created to test how to put clips together, transition between clips, add images, and altering colouring within the videos. This video is distorted because I wanted to put more effort into learning how to do these things than to make a coherent video.

My second video was me trying to learn how to incorporate sound within the videos so that the sound was not too loud or too quiet. Traditionally this would involve me spending a little bit of time at the beginning of the recording going over how loud the system volume was on my computer, yet I realized that I was able to add in the songs later and isolate them from my voice to make sure that while I did have relaxing background music, it did not overpower my voice.

My third video, and final video, was where I wanted to tie everything together to create a cohesive work. For this video I had no idea what I wanted to base it off of so I thought I would make an instructional video as that is what I will now use my video editing skills for. I decided that I would go on Twitch and learn how to use fusion and make a video going over everything that I had done up to that point.



My Final Thoughts On Video Editing

I do not think that I will edit every video that I will make. With issues stemming from my headset drivers not playing nice with my video editing software, how long it takes to edit videos, and the process behind editing them are simply not as practical as my older methods. However, does that mean I will not edit videos? No. From what I have experienced throughout this  process, editing videos can be a fun and meaningful way to share information to our students. In fact, I am currently planning out videos explaining things such as how to write essays, how to see if a thesis statement is strong, and general knowledge on what I am going to teach that I will upload to Google Classroom in the future.

Video editing allows you to give resources to students that are full of energy and that can resonate with them because the person within the video is their teacher. This also gives our students easy access to information no matter where they are, or what time they need it. No matter what kind of situation your students could be dealing with, videos with audio can be adaptable to any student.

Comments